OUR SHEPHERDING LEADERS – ELDERS
“So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.” – 1 Peter 5:1–3
Shaun Walker serves full-time as our lead teaching pastor. He moved with his family from Littleton, CO in July of 2014 when he accepted the vote of Grace Baptist Church. He is married to Shannon and father to Naomi, Esther, and Ethan. Before coming to GBC he served for thirteen years as an Associate Pastor in Colorado. He holds a B.A. in Bible and an M.A. in Biblical Studies.
There are some foundational truths that shape Shaun’s ministry philosophy.
- Expository preaching is a non-negotiable. His aim is to make the meaning of the biblical passage the meaning of the sermon. He wants his preaching to teach people how to study the Bible.
- The gospel is not just how the Christian life begins but essential for all Christian living. Christians never outgrow the gospel.
- The Holy Scriptures are sufficient for all matters of life, practice, and worship. Church is all about God.
- We must ask, “What does God have to say about this?” before we ever ask, “Will this work?”
- People can change because of the Word of God by and with the Spirit of God.
Shaun finds great encouragement and profit from reading authors such as: John MacArthur, Mark Dever, Lloyd Jones, J.M. Boice, John Piper, Tim Keller, and Jerry Bridges. The books that have influenced him most as a pastor are “The Trellis and the Vine” by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne; and the Building Healthy Churches series by 9Marks.
Rob came to know and love Christ as a child through the faithfulness of his grandmother. Growing up in Florida, Rob has a desire to spread the fame of Jesus in the Tampa Bay region and an unrelenting desire for foreign missions. He and his wife Amy have five children. When he isn’t working at FedEx or busy with his family Rob enjoys fishing in the river behind their home.
John began to grow in his faith in Christ through the faithful discipleship of a campus ministry while a student at Penn State. After moving to Florida for medical school he and his wife Emily became members of GBC and have been faithful members ever since. During the day John serves as a medical doctor in a needy community.
OUR SERVANT LEADERS – DEACONS
- Royce: Deacon of finance
- John: Deacon of building and events
- Adam: Deacon of services and worship
Additionally many others help coordinate various ministries of GBC including men’s, women’s, children’s, and music. We are thankful to God for his gifts in these faithful servant leaders who give costly acts of service to Christ’s church.